Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Best Coast

I know it's early (in my terms, at least - waking up is not my forte) but I saw a snippet of a music video last night (on MTV! Gasp!) and kind of, sort of immediately fell in love with it. I looked it up first thing this morning, and it's got everything. You want the breakdown?

1 - Donald Glover. With a beard. Enough said.
2 - Chloe Moretz. Super talented, and super cute. No idea how they made her hair do that, but I'm intrigued.
3 - The fight scene toward the end is (in my opinion) perfectly choreographed - it's very stylized, but doesn't come off as "Step Up 4: Now with more Headspins!"
4 - Every time someone shoots a movie in that drainage ditch(?) setting, it makes me think of Grease, which may or may not have been my favorite movie growing up. In fact, I may or may not have worn an Olivia Newton-John style catsuit at one (or more) point(s) during that time period. Yes, I really was that awesome. Still want to be my friend?
5 - It manages to pack all the best parts of a doomed romance into 3 minutes and 30 seconds. It reminds me of West Side Story, for obvious reasons, but doesn't come off as a hokey remake of the story where Maria's a badass with a heart of gold. Well played, Drew Barrymore, well played.

. . . oh yeah, and the song's not bad either.


Okay, back to studying and wishing I weren't such a Sandy, pre-carnival.

1 comment: