Saturday, August 20, 2011

New York, New York

So the fact that I'm updating this blog (finally) on a Saturday night may or may not be proof positive that I have virtually no life, but it must be done for me to feel justified in having taken roughly ten billion photos on my iPhone over the past few weeks . . . and having a certain someone groan at me almost every time.

Anyways, as I mentioned in the Keanu Reeves post, I have finally seen New York City and kind of, sort of, fell in love with it. Part of that may be because we stayed in an amazing home (designed in part by Robert and Cortney Novogratz, for you fellow design nerds!) in a great part of the city, but I remain steadfast in my opinion!

The first thing I had the opportunity to fall in love with in New York is the food, which I continued to fall in love with it over and over again during the next three days.

This is a shot from brunch at Balthazar, where we enjoyed the most spectacular (and expensive!) bread basket to ever grace my table. Some day, I will learn to bake their chocolate bread.

Monday night, we went to a vacant lot turned food truck and hipster hangout. Tacos with kimchi may sound strange, but trust me - they're a game changer. We need real (aka cheap) food trucks here in D.C.

(So there's not actually any food in this picture, but Republic Noodle was pretty awesome and I mean, look at that tie - someone should definitely give this gent a high paying job with reasonable hours and a good healthcare plan.)

This may have been my favorite meal of the trip - 3 different types of Bahn Mi sandwiches from a Vietnamese deli and gourmet rice pudding from Rice to Riches (don't knock it until you try it.) I would not, however, suggest the move '2012' unless you enjoy yelling at the TV about plot holes as much as we do.

The gent also tolerated - and to some extent encouraged - visiting the more touristy sites. Seeing as to the fact we only had about 72 hours in the city, some of which were consumed with things like sleeping, we took a fairly truncated tour of the city.

First stop: Central Park, possibly the only place in the world where bicyclists may actually be more dangerous than cars.

Second Stop: FAO Schwartz, for the sugar-crazed, materialistic child in each of us.
(This last one's for Tesha.)

Third through Remaining Stops: Places either on the way to or from somewhere else.

Tiffany's: Where men's bank accounts come to die.

Radio City Music Hall

30 Rockefeller Plaza, and its Lego facimile.

The most beautiful place on earth.
It's the J.Crew flagship(?) store, right across the street from an Anthropologie. Winning.

The Empire State Building

Grand Central Station
(and its absolutely amazing ceiling.)

The Highline - A park literally built on some old railroad tracks in Manhattan. It's beautiful, as you can clearly tell from this blurry, late-night camera phone picture.

Times Square, for roughly 2.5 seconds.

So I actually have about 50ish more pictures, but roughly 3/4 of those were taken in ABC Carpet & Home and fall under the "Things to Buy When I Have an Income and Home to Put Stuff In" and this post is already absurdly long so I'll spare you the remaining 1/4. The bottom line of this post is that life does in fact exist beyond northern Virginia, and public transit is cheaper there.

1 comment:

  1. Clever girl, I love the photos and descriptions. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete